If politics is like football, defeating Donald Trump feels more like a successful goalline stand than a victory. We need to move very deliberately in the immediate term and then press hard.
The single largest thing holding back progress in America is First Past the Pole (&, by proxy the Electoral College). Ranked Choice is our best hope to rend power from exorbitantly-funded special interests. It’s like a salary cap.
The more Democrats serve the proletariat the better they’ll fare in future elections. If they kowtow to capitalists, Trump 2.0 Xtreme Edition will dominate in 24 (including down-ticket). It’s time to fake right and go left!
If it turns out to be Biden -or- Bernie — as disappointed as you might be— please remember:
- You’re not just voting for President.
- You’re voting for who replaces RBG on the Supreme Court (if not more than that!)
- You’re voting for the next Secretary of Education.
- You’re voting for federal judges.
- You’re voting for the rule of law.
- You’re voting for saving national parks.
- You’re voting for letting kids out of cages.
- You’re voting for clean air and clean water.
- You’re voting for scientists to be allowed to speak about climate change.
- You’re voting for what a President says and does on Twitter.
- You’re voting for housing rights.
- You’re voting for LGBTQ people to be treated with dignity.
- You’re voting for Dreamers.
- You’re voting so that there will be Social Security and Medicare when you retire.
- You’re voting for veterans to get the care they deserve.
- You’re voting for rural hospitals.
- You’re voting so that someone else can have health insurance.
- You’re voting for the preservation of PBS & NPR.
- You’re voting to have a President who doesn’t embarrass this country every time he attends an international meeting.
- And you’re voting against allowing the USA to become yet another authoritarian regime.
- You’re voting for sensible gun laws (You don’t like “red-flag” laws? You should see what Trump’s been up to!)
The list goes on..
No politician is perfect.
Your first AND second choices may have dropped out. Your third might.
But the nominee, no matter who they are, won’t be perfect. They won’t
pass your purity test. And yet every single one of them will be better
than four more years of Trump!
via my friend, Danielle Hegedus.
Please feel free to copy, paste, & make this list your own, as I have done.
git aliases are useful command-line shortcuts to save a minute or two here and there while working with your version-controlled source code (or other data).
Here’s one I’ve been using recently in case it saves you time too. It creates and checks out a new branch based on the latest code in the configured
HEAD / upstream branch on the
To use it, just add the following line to your `~/.gitconfig`
fb = "!git fetch origin && git checkout -t $(git symbolic-ref --short refs/remotes/origin/HEAD) -b"
git fb try/some-new-feature
`fb` is short for “feature branch“
EDITED 2020-07-21 to continue to work with repositories that have moved away from calling the default branch
master (Github is changing the default).